MainLinePeaceAction

Wednesday, April 10, 2013


Presente: Mary Jo McArthur
(Oct. 27, 1947 - Mar. 23, 2013)

Memorial for Mary Jo
This Saturday, April 13, at 11A.M.

@St. Francis de Sales Roman Catholic Church,
4625 Springfield Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19143
(47th Street and Springfield Avenue
) located on the 900 block of south 47th Street


9th Station: Jesus Falls the 3rd Time (Stations of the Cross), from the Brandywine Peace Community's Good Friday Stations of Justice, Peace, and Nonviolent Resistance to Lockheed Martin


Daniel Berrigan once described the life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, the German pastor and martyred resister to Nazi Germany, this way: "He said his prayers, he told the truth, and then he died."


Anyone who has over the past four decades been at Lockheed Martin or elsewhere with the Brandywine Peace Community or any number of other groups from Philadelphia to Washington, DC would have seen Mary Jo McArthur -- holding a sign, gripping a banner, standing, walking, getting arrested, doing what was just a matter of fact for her - quietly standing up for justice, saying her prayers, doing peace, caring about and serving others.


Last Saturday, March 23, Mary Jo McArthur died. Her passing was with the same peace in which she acted over and over and over and over, again and again, without bluster, or argument, with just a matter of fact-ness that says, in effect, this is where I am, I know what happens here, and this is what I do…knowing full well what would happen.


Mary Jo is still with us here today, in the prayer of St Ignatius that she said daily and she asked Bernadette Cronin-Geller to bring with her here today.

“ Take Lord and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my entire will, all that I have and possess. You have given all to me. To You, O Lord, I return it. Everything is yours, do with it what You will. Give me only Your Love and Your grace, for this is enough for me.”


Mary Jo McArthur, Presente, and eternal love


____________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment