MainLinePeaceAction

Monday, September 12, 2011

America As Bully

Jane Dugdale's Letter to the Editor published by the Philadelphia Inquirer, September 11, 2011.

I called my mother, almost 90, when I came home from work on Sept. 11, 2001.
“I know how you must have felt when Pearl Harbor was hit,” I said.

“No, it isn’t the same,” she said. “This is what happens when the U.S. continually bullies the rest of the world. That’s why this happened today.”
Wow. This from the widow of a decorated Navy officer who fought in both the Atlantic and Pacific theaters of World War II. My mother’s words echo through the decade since 9/11 as I watch our nation extend its military influence around the world with a thousand bases in dozens of countries and initiate one preemptive war after another. If she were still here, I’d like to ask her, is this what she meant by being “bullies”?
Jane Swift Dugdale, Bryn Mawr

1 comment: