MainLinePeaceAction

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

BS from Casey On Pollution

We wrote a letter to Senator Casey asking him to support the EPA's new rule about carbon pollution of our air.  This is the bs we got back.  He's not taking a stand anywhere.

Dear Mr. Ebmeyer:
Thank you for taking the time to contact me about regulating the Environmental Protection Agency and the regulation of greenhouse gas emissions under the Clean Air Act. I appreciate hearing from you about this issue.
On March 27, 2012, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) under its Clean Air Act authority proposed a standard for carbon emissions at power plants units that will be built in the future. This proposed rule would apply only to new fossil-fuel powered generators and would set an output based standard at a maximum of 1,000 pounds of carbon dioxide per megawatt-hour. It would not apply to existing power plants. I understand that while some Pennsylvanians strongly support EPA’s proposed rule, others strongly oppose it. I further understand that some people would like EPA to develop a rule concerning existing power plants, and others would not. As your U.S. Senator, I will continue to carefully monitor these issues.
Greenhouse gas emissions pose a threat to public health and the environment. How this threat is addressed is important for a state like Pennsylvania during an economic recovery. While I believe strongly that our Nation must reduce its greenhouse gas emissions in order to combat the threat of global climate change, I remain concerned that regulatory action without sufficient safeguards and congressional action could harm workers in manufacturing states like Pennsylvania. At the same time, in the absence of congressional action on energy legislation, there should not be a prohibition on the development of plans to reduce air emissions. I believe that an international agreement is necessary to alleviate rising energy prices, to transform the world economy and to protect our national security. If done properly, a global warming policy will reverse the global environmental impacts of human-made greenhouse gas emissions while cultivating new clean energy jobs, re-energizing the manufacturing sector in Pennsylvania and revitalizing the national economy. New, cleaner sources of energy should be encouraged in order to continue the progress being made to reduce air pollution while creating Pennsylvania jobs. As the Senate works during the 112th Congress to increase production of clean energy sources, please be assured that I will keep your views in mind.
Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.
For more information on this or other issues, I encourage you to visit my website, http://casey.senate.gov. I hope you will find this online office a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issues that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.
Sincerely,
Bob Casey
United States Senator

P.S. If you would like to respond to this message, please use the contact form on my website: http://casey.senate.gov/contact/

No comments:

Post a Comment